Re: Does “apt-get install” follow “recommends” links recursively?

Rich Morin wrote:
> Debian's "apt-get install" command is documented as following "recommends" links by default. It also follows "depends" links, presumably in a recursive fashion. However, I haven't been able to find out if it also follows recommends links recursively.
>
> For example, let's say that I run "apt-get install foo" and that foo depends on or recommends bar. I would expect apt-get to install bar and all of its dependencies. However, I don't know whether it would also install bar's recommended packages, etc. Can someone please clarify this?

  any package which depends upon another package would draw
in whatever dependencies indicated in that so yes, it is
recursive to the extent the package itself is properly
done.

  this can be changed by options in /etc/apt files if you
don't want the default behaviors of apt/apt-get, etc.

  songbird