Re: Does "apt-get install" follow "recommends" links recursively?

Quoting Rich Morin (2020-02-06 01:02:07)
> Debian's "apt-get install" command is documented as following
> "recommends" links by default. It also follows "depends" links,
> presumably in a recursive fashion. However, I haven't been able to
> find out if it also follows recommends links recursively.
>
> For example, let's say that I run "apt-get install foo" and that foo
> depends on or recommends bar. I would expect apt-get to install bar
> and all of its dependencies. However, I don't know whether it would
> also install bar's recommended packages, etc. Can someone please
> clarify this?

Should be simple to test yourself:

Try install package ghostscript, which transitively recommends
fonts-droid-fallback, which recommends fonts-noto-mono.

Or try install package junior-games-net, which recommends minetest,
which tranisitvely recommends fonts-droid-fallback, which recommends
fonts-noto-mono.

Or try install package games-all, which recommends games-finest, which
recommends minetest, which tranisitvely recommends fonts-droid-fallback,
which recommends fonts-noto-mono.

In all cases, you need not actually install, but can check the
information from apt/apt-get/aptitude about what they intent to install
- but cancel the actual install.

 - Jonas