Does “apt-get install” follow “recommends” links recursively?

Debian's "apt-get install" command is documented as following "recommends" links by default. It also follows "depends" links, presumably in a recursive fashion. However, I haven't been able to find out if it also follows recommends links recursively.

For example, let's say that I run "apt-get install foo" and that foo depends on or recommends bar. I would expect apt-get to install bar and all of its dependencies. However, I don't know whether it would also install bar's recommended packages, etc. Can someone please clarify this?

-r