Re: apt-get build-dep emacs-gtk: unmet dependencies

> You could try downgrading the two library packages explicitly:
>
> $ apt-get install libtiff5=1.0.10-4 libidn2-0=2.0.5-1

This is what I tried eventually, and it worked, thanks!

> That might result in other errors if doing this breaks versioned
> dependencies from other packages, but it's at least a starting point,
> and worth trying.

It luckily didn’t.

> The real questions are A: how you wound up with these newer versions
> installed in the first place, and B: whether there are similarly "newer
> than anything available in your-configured repos" versions of any
> *other* packages installed.

For A, well, my installation process is like this: use netinst (first I
had tried w/ 10.0, the last time I downloaded 10.2, because who knows,
but it persisted), usual stuff, partitioning (UEFI, rest is ext4, one
LVM vg which includes / and /home, separate /boot in primary partition),
then install, selecting print server, ssh server, and standard packages
(bottom three in tasksel screen).  Then, I reboot and run a script that
basically builds up an ‘apt-get install ...’ command with ~200 pkgs
(ends up installing >4k dependencies).  It uses usual debian stable
repos.  No local .debs, no other repos.  I don’t even use
backports. /etc/apt/preferences is empty.  FWIW, the mentioned
installation command is as follows:

,----
`----

> Tracking those down and fixing them would definitely be possible, but
> honestly, if this system was installed so recently you're probably
> better off doing the reinstall and hoping whatever error it was doesn't
> happen this time.

I persistently got the same results after reinstalling twice (botched
one trying to use btrfs on root).  I suppose it could be a problem with
Debian reports.  Do you think I should report this as a bug?

In any case, I’ll try to reinstall on a VM in a few days, maybe this is
a temporary issue w/ package archives, or a packaging bug.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp / @cadadr / <https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
pgp:   024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC 40EB 465C D949 B101 2427