Re: apt-get build-dep emacs-gtk: unmet dependencies

On 2020-02-02 at 17:57, İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp wrote:

>> In turn, please respond on-list only
>
> I'll try, but I can't use my usual MUA ATM, so sorry if I fail at that.
>
>> $ apt-cache policy libtiff-dev libtiff5
>
> The command (w/ libidn2-0 added) reports:
>
> libtiff-dev:
>   Installed: (none)
>   Candidate: 4.0.10-4
>   Version table:
>      4.0.10-4 500
>         500 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stable/main amd64 Packages
> libtiff5:
>   Installed: 4.1.0+git191117-2~deb10u1
>   Candidate: 4.1.0+git191117-2~deb10u1
>   Version table:
>  *** 4.1.0+git191117-2~deb10u1 100
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      4.0.10-4 500
>         500 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stable/main amd64 Packages

So apparently you have a newer version of libtiff5 installed (from
somewhere), but no matching newer version of libtiff-dev is available...

> libidn2-0:
>   Installed: 2.0.5-1+deb10u1
>   Candidate: 2.0.5-1+deb10u1
>   Version table:
>  *** 2.0.5-1+deb10u1 100
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      2.0.5-1 500
>         500 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stable/main amd64 Packages

...and similarly a newer version of libidn2-0; you didn't show
libidn-dev, but I'm guessing the same "no newer version available" holds
true there.

You could try downgrading the two library packages explicitly:

$ apt-get install libtiff5=1.0.10-4 libidn2-0=2.0.5-1

That might result in other errors if doing this breaks versioned
dependencies from other packages, but it's at least a starting point,
and worth trying.

The real questions are A: how you wound up with these newer versions
installed in the first place, and B: whether there are similarly "newer
than anything available in your-configured repos" versions of any
*other* packages installed.

Tracking those down and fixing them would definitely be possible, but
honestly, if this system was installed so recently you're probably
better off doing the reinstall and hoping whatever error it was doesn't
happen this time.

--
   The Wanderer