Re: Ethernet trouble

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 04:32:32PM +0100, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 10:10:25AM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
because they don't need to know that. This is an issue
mostly for people who know a little bit, want to tinker, and become
irrationally angry when they need to learn something new.)

This is insulting. I'll try to explain.

Also, it's not insulting, it's descriptive. I'll explain.

Once I understood it, my reaction was "meh".

And that's fine. In that case, the interface names *are not an issue*. They're just something that's there. If you don't like them, you change them. No big deal, not an issue, just a thing that can be configured to personal taste. But some people don't just say "meh", they get angry. They insult the software, they insult the developers, they rant about how all the decisions were stupid. They may explain that there's a simple solution that should have been implemented if only the developers were smarter or not part of a *conspiracy* to make horrible software. Now, for no good reason, a trivial matter like an interface name has become "an issue". If that's not you--great!--there's no need to be insulted because it must not have been about you.

Even at their worst the debian lists are actually pretty good. But you might be surprised at the level of vitriol that developers can get over what are really unimportant matters in the grand scheme of things. If you aren't the kind to get angry about interface names you might be surprised that developers actually get death threats over such trivial nonsense. Anyway, that's how I define "an issue" vs "a configurable default".