Re: Ethernet trouble

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 03:18:13PM -0700, ghe wrote:
But that had nothing to do with naming Ethernet interfaces. At least to
a human it didn't. They're still on the same PCI bus (0, and soldered to
the same places on MB, as I find I've said before).

some motherboards are better than others about enumerating things. the predictable interfaces names work great on server-class gear, but can get pretty wonky on consumer hardware. (the firmware is supposed to report the mapping between the logical pci bus to a physical slot.) if the reporting isn't reliable for whatever reason, you're probably a good candidate for changing the naming scheme. mac-based is probably the most reliable, but long, and you might be able to get away with the traditional linux ethX scheme...but if something is messing up initialization order that might also be unreliable.

https://major.io/2015/08/21/understanding-systemds-predictable-network-device-names/ has a nice discussion of where the names come from. If you run udevadm info -e | less and search for net you can see various different naming conventions for each device. if you're really curious you can save a copy of the udevadm output and if the names change again you can see why.