Re: Dell BIOS Changes

On 2020-01-29, Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
> On 2020-01-28, J. D. Leach <jeromeleach17@gmail.com> wrote:
>> To Whom it May Concern,
>>
>> Have a Dell Inspiron 3668 desktop with the latest Dell firmware
>> (1.12.2). This update, and numerous of the preceding ones, do not allow
>> ANY type of loading of Debian (or any othe Linux flavor) onto the PC. In
>
> That's astounding, because Dell provides instructions for installing Ubuntu on
> this very machine.
>
> https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/fr/fr/frbsdt1/inspiron-3668-desktop/inspiron3668_setupandspecs/set-up-your-computer?guid=guid-47dddb93-f245-4113-bec4-98988598ae47&lang=en-us
>
> Quote:
>
>  6.Finish operating system setup.For Ubuntu: Follow the on-screen instructions to
>    complete the setup. For more information about installing and configuring
>    Ubuntu, see the knowledge base articles SLN151664 and SLN151748 at
>    www.dell.com/support.
>
> Below, Dell explains how to update the BIOS in a Linux or Ubuntu-only environment:
>
> https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln171755/update-the-dell-bios-in-a-linux-or-ubuntu-environment?lang=en
>
> Can you provide any substantive evidence for your assertion?

Just to belabor the point, Dell lists Ubuntu® Desktop 16.04 as a
supported operating system for the Inspiron 3668:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/supportedos/inspiron-3668-desktop

The Inspiron 3668 is also one of the Dell machines that shipped with a factory Linux
install:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln305226/dell-client-systems-that-shipped-with-a-factory-install-of-linux?lang=en

--
"J'ai pour me guérir du jugement des autres toute la distance qui me sépare de
moi." Antonin Artaud