Re: Sudo

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020, 4:44 PM mick crane <mick.crane@gmail.com> wrote:
On 2020-01-28 18:44, Joe wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 10:29:44 -0700
> "Harold Hartley" <wheelie207@ownmail.net> wrote:
>
>> When I did the graphical install I couldn’t even get into su either.
>> That’s why I installed it without graphics the next time.
>
> Whatever the issue was, it wasn't that. I always use a graphical
> install and have never had the problem you describe.

Out of interest if you choose not to have a root password at the install
is it any problem to add one later ?

Not at all.  Before settling on Debian and Devuan, I used Ubuntu, which doesn't *ever* have you set a Root Password.  Only Sudo.

So one of my "early actions", is to enter "sudo passwd root" and enter your "normal user password".

Then, the command works correctly, and I am free to do "su -"  and enter that, correct Root Password.

Good luck, and use Root, as well as Sudo carefully.

Kenneth Parker