Re: Sudo

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 04:33:21PM +1100, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
> So sudo is installed.
>
> What happens when you type
>
> su
>
> in a term?
>

> If you are asked for a password, type it in and enter.
>
> When there type
>
> usermod -a -G sudo charles - looks to be your user name
>
> exit
>
> Then try sudo again.  You should get request for charles password.

Charles would have to log out and log in again, to pick up the new
group membership.  Or use something like "exec su - charles" in a
terminal to reset the session privileges in that one window only.

Also, Debian can add an existing user to an existing group with
"adduser username groupname".  See adduser(8).

At this point, however, I think everyone's talking to a ghost.  I
don't recall the OP *ever* showing us the command they typed and
the error message they got.  They also claimed they "fixed" the
problem by "reinstalling".  I doubt they're even reading this
thread.