Re: Planning a Debian NAS

Quoting deloptes (2020-01-27 21:42:40)
> basti wrote:
>
> > Yes a rpi can run software raid with mdadm. In this case I would use
> > a rpi4b with USB3 and USB to SATA adapter but be aware that the rpi
> > is at the moment not fully supportet by debian
> > (https://github.com/lategoodbye/rpi-zero/issues/43). If raspian is
> > good enough for your needs it would be an option. With the
> > restrictions I explained before.
> >

> I tried many years ago SATA adapter with USB2 and the performance was
> very poor. Might be better with USB3 though, but I am still not
> convinced.
>
> I saw some time ago there was extention board with SATA 2 or 4, which
> was promising. Interesting to know if someone have used such thing
> with debian.

Either you care about performance or you use RPi - not both.

USB3 only helps if the data pipeline can handle the load.

A quite cheap (but not too cheap like RPi) option is Olimex LIME2 with
native SATA port:
https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A20/A20-OLinuXino-LIME2/

A more powerful option with native SATA is Helios64 at kobol.io - but
beware that (like Pine* devices, but unlike Olimex) they are built only
in batches as enough orders come in, so you have a higher risk that the
product you buy might go out of business even before it gets supported
in Debian - as seemingly happened with their previous Helios4 device.

(one nice feature of the seemingly abandoned Helios4 was that it used
ECC memory - cheapest device that I know of doing that!)

I am a happy LIME2 user since some years.  I don't use RAID though.

 - Jonas