Re: Planning a Debian NAS

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 09:42:40PM +0100, deloptes wrote:
> basti wrote:
>
> > Yes a rpi can run software raid with mdadm. In this case I would use a
> > rpi4b with USB3 and USB to SATA adapter [...]

> I tried many years ago SATA adapter with USB2 and the performance was very
> poor. Might be better with USB3 though, but I am still not convinced.

If performance is important, USB to SATA doesn't make much sense.
Especially not if all the USBs are hanging off one hub.

> I saw some time ago there was extention board with SATA 2 or 4, which was
> promising. Interesting to know if someone have used such thing with debian.

Does the Raspi chipset support natively SATA?

There are other small, affordable SBCs with direct SATA support.
They'd make more sense for this application. OTOH -- if the main
interest is in tinkering and learning... tinker away!

Cheers
-- t