Re: Planning a Debian NAS

Am 27.01.20 um 20:43 schrieb deloptes:
Aidan Gauland wrote:

Can a r-pi be set up with RAID easily?

perhaps yes as it is more or less normal linux, but where do you attach the
disks - do you think of using a SATA extention?

I do not know what is the throughput of such extentions, but should be
considered.

Yes a rpi can run software raid with mdadm. In this case I would use a rpi4b with USB3 and USB to SATA adapter but be aware that the rpi is at the moment not fully supportet by debian (https://github.com/lategoodbye/rpi-zero/issues/43). If raspian is good enough for your needs it would be an option. With the restrictions I explained before.

If you are loking for a ARM NAS have a look at https://kobol.io/ it has SATA ports.

I have a old QNAP TS-219P II NAS but if I would build a new one I would looking for a bord with Atom CPU or somethink like that to minimize the energy costs.