Re: Running buster with jessie kernel possible?

On Wed 22 Jan 2020 at 11:06:40 (+0100), Robert Pommrich wrote:

> As documented in two bug [1] reports [2], the only working kernel for my
> system is 3.16.
> The system is running jessie stretch at the moment with the jessie stock
> kernel, which is 3.16.
>
> As I would like to upgrade to buster, I'd like to know:
>
> Is it possible to run buster with the jessie kernel? Are there perhaps
> dependencies of systemd or the like on a higher kernel version?
>
> [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=931331
> [2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=914517

I've no idea whether this helps. I have an old laptop with a video
that uses radeon/R300_cp.bin firmware.

It ran X under wheezy if xorg.conf contained   Option "AGPFastWrite" "no"
No special boot parameters, just the regular "ro quiet".
jessie runs fine without xorg.conf, and the same boot line in grub.

stretch would run in single mode, but crash or freeze in normal mode.
It seemed to be demanding radeon/R300_cp.bin so I copied that into
/lib/firmware/radeon/, but that didn't help much. It would usually
crash or freeze after a few seconds.

So I tried installing buster. That works well, but to get X to work
at all, I have to have nomodeset in the boot line in grub. Firefox
is painfully slow, with 512MB memory and 1GB swap powered by 1.5GHz,
but it gets there eventually. If X has been a busy session, it can
take four or five minutes to shut down.

Fortunately it was easy for me to abandon stretch and try installing
buster from scratch because I have always partitioned for two root
filesystems sharing an encrypted /home. My jessie installation still
works in the older partition, though I'm not sure it would be very
secure any more. It's just there as a potential fallback/rescue.

Cheers,
David.