Re: Displaying an arbitrary file in _both_ HEX and ASCII

On 1/22/20 8:12 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
I'm running Debian 9.8 with MATE desktop.
I'm exploring a data file with the intention of eventually parsing it in a useful fashion.

Just downloaded ghex. I like the display format.
Its tools are inconvenient.

I need to:
 1. Simultaneously display in _both_ HEX and ASCII format
 2. Know the current offset in *DECIMAL* format.
    {knowing the offset also in HEX might be nice}
 3. Goto to an offset - expressed in DECIMAL.
 4. Advance a specific number of bytes.
 5. Search for an ASCII string.
 6. Search for arbitrary sequence of bytes expressed as HEX.

Suggested tool(s) in Debian repository?
TIA

Have you tried mc.  Its a console file manager that has a view/edit function that appears to do what you want except moving from the current position a specific number of bytes and the file position is in HEX but you can move to a position in decimal or HEX.  Its the first program I install after a new install.

On my large monitors I can see 40 characters per line. Smaller/Larger fonts or window sizes will give different characters per line.  Being a console program it can be run in GUI (I use KDE) or just text mode.  Read the help (F1) to see how to use the various function keys ... especially the TAB and ESC key.

--

...Bob