Re: Displaying an arbitrary file in _both_ HEX and ASCII

Bob Weber writes:
On 1/22/20 8:12 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
I'm running Debian 9.8 with MATE desktop.
I'm exploring a data file with the intention of eventually parsing it in a useful fashion.

Just downloaded ghex. I like the display format.
Its tools are inconvenient.

Suggested tool(s) in Debian repository?

[...]

My favorite hex editor is `dhex` (Debian package `dhex`).
From to the list of requirements, it does 4 of 6.

There is no need to continue reading or reply if this incompleteness makes it entirely unhelpful for your uses :)

 1. Simultaneously display in _both_ HEX and ASCII format

Yes.

 2. Know the current offset in *DECIMAL* format.
    {knowing the offset also in HEX might be nice}

No. dhex displays offset in hex only.

 3. Goto to an offset - expressed in DECIMAL.

No. dhex jumps to offsets in hex only.

 4. Advance a specific number of bytes.

Yes. As long as number of bytes to advance is given in hex.

 5. Search for an ASCII string.

Yes.

 6. Search for arbitrary sequence of bytes expressed as HEX.

Yes.

If you relax the decimal restriction you get an editor that can do all the tasks. Knowing that there are numbering systems outside hex, dhex has a built-in calculator which simultaneously outputs everything in hex, dec and binary and allows calculations to be entered in any of these numbering schemes. Hence, one can perform actions with decimal uses but it might not be as convenient as needed :)

YMMV
Linux-Fan