Re: CD-ROM: inappropriate ioctl

Hi,

jeremy bentham wrote:
>   eject: unable to eject, last error: Inappropriate ioctl for device

The inappropriate ioctl() does not necessarily have to be the reason
of the failure. man 1 eject indicates that several methods are tried.

> The command sees the drive (it's not the quietest thing in the
> world, and I can hear it clunking in the case).
> [...]
> The drive also does not respond to the physical control on the
> case.

This could be a damage of mechanical parts or sensors.

What do you get in file /tmp/xorriso.log by

  xorriso -scsi_log on -outdev /dev/sr0 -eject out 2>&1 | tee -i /tmp/xorriso.log

Does the drive have a hole for mechanical opening by a straightened paper
clip ?

If so, open the tray (best with power being off) and insert some medium.
Then try whether the drive reacts on eject, xorriso, or drive's own button
as long as a medium is in.
Such behavior is described in the web, and i experienced it myself with
a DVD-ROM drive.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas