CD-ROM: inappropriate ioctl

Using the eject command I get the following message:

  eject: unable to eject, last error: Inappropriate ioctl for device

This is new:  I used the drive to install the OS (jessie? Debian 9, anyway)
and I've actually--not too recently--listened to a CD on it.

Feeding The Duck the message didn't help; nor did deleting the
device file and running mknod.

The command sees the drive (it's not the quietest thing in the
world, and I can hear it clunking in the case).  It just doesn't
open the tray.

--
 Dave Williams    dnw@eskimo.com