Need help with debugging Apache on Debian 10.2

Hi Debian users list,

My name is Angela and I run Debian 10.2 on my home web server. On that server, my wife and I are hosting several Wordpress sites as well as a small number of non-Wordpress ones.

However, as of when we updated to Debian 10.2, we started having recurring issues with Apache throwing segmentation faults that resulted in all PHP-based sites (notably, the Wordpress ones) throwing 503 errors from varnish.

And I am at my wit’s end as to how to fix this problem, because I do not have enough debugging experience with a Linux environment to know how to proceed.

I have written up the problem in detail here:

https://angelahighland.info/2020/01/12/need-help-with-debian-web-server-debugging/

That post (which is external to my home web server, since my home web server is unstable) includes:

* Behavior observed when the seg fault occurs
* What I’ve done to try to fix the problem so far
* Details on what we have installed on the system at this time

To what I wrote in that post, I can add that we’ve also kept the server up to date with security and other updates, and it’s been rebooted a couple of times since the big upgrade to Debian 10. (We were previously on version 8.)

Can anyone advise on best steps to get enough information to diagnose the problem? As I said in my post, I do have gdb and the Apache debug symbols package installed, but I don’t have experience with them so I don’t know how to effectively _use_ them.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can assist!

Angela

Sent from my iPad