Re: Poll about DVD drive behavior

Hi,

songbird wrote:
>  ata-ASUS_DVD-E818AAT_a
> it will sit there with the tray open all day

A DVD-ROM drive of 2007.

Gene Heskett wrote:
> When the bios needs to know if it is supposed to boot from a cd, since it
> can, it has to close the tray and see if theres a cd/dvd there to read.

It seems to be the drives' firmware which as first decides to pull in on
power-up.

I made a little experiment with my ASUS BW-16D1HT which sits in an USB box.
Tray out, power off, data cable off, power on: Immediately pulls the tray.
The computer's firmware has no say in this setup.
At most the firmware of the USB-SATA bridge in the box could talk to the
drive. But i assume that it has no knowledge about DVD drive trays.

Even if the drive firmware would keep the tray out, any read attempts by
the computer firmware would probably cause an automatic pull-in.
It might be, though, that the computer firmware inquires the drive state,
learns that no medium is loaded, and decides not to try reading from the
drive.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas