Re: apple mini

I use ATA secure erase <https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase>; I activate it with hdparm from a live usb drive (you may need to install hdparm). I do not know if ATA secure erase is supported by the mini bios and drive. Many bioses I have seen that freeze security can be unfrozen with a suspend/resume cycle.

ATA secure erase is fast, optimised for the drive, and can also erase unallocated blocks that are not visible to the operating system (especially those on SSDs). No HDD can be fully overwritten in two minutes. Enhanced erase may offer more protection, but you are at the mercy of the HDD vendor implementation. I also encrypt all my drives.

If you need to protect against an attacker willing to examine your HDD with magnetic force microscopy, there is no substitute for physical destruction of the media.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director