Re: MUA CLI IMAP and SMTP without ncurses interface

On Mon, Jan 06, 2020 at 09:43:40AM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 07:54:44 +0100
> john doe <johndoe65534@mail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes there is, I connect to a VM using SSH and my Windows screenreader
> > does not like curses interface and maybe .other interface(s) as well
>
> Since there are plenty of programs out there that use curses or
> ncurses, perhaps a more elegant solution would be to find an SSH client
> and screenreader that support ncurses. I haven't used Windows
> extensively since 1999, but I hear tell PUTTY does a good job.

It's really not clear what the OP wants to do, but I would imagine
the primary issue with screen readers and full-screen terminal programs
(whether they use ncurses or slang or their own home-brewed terminal
interface code) is that the cursor gets shoved around the screen
willy-nilly using terminal escape sequences, and the screen reader
doesn't know what's a pronuncible word, or when to say it.

If the goal is to READ MAIL, then perhaps one of the more primitive
interfaces like mailx(1) will suffice.  I might suggest "less $MAIL",
but with today's email, there are SO many headers, HUGE headers....
You might want to write something that strips out the vast majority
of the headers, and then pipe that through less (or whatever the screen
reader equivalent is).