Re: Package comitup: bootstrap Wifi using Wifi

https://github.com/davesteele/comitup looks like the originator.

> Comitup didn't pull up at all when I searched 5860MB of outstanding
> emails so I figured maybe it doesn't see much airtime. Am wandering
> off now wondering out loud if a Wifi guru out here might, either yay
> or nay, see any usefulness in comitup for assisting Users with
> unusually difficult to connect Wifi setups.

Probably not.

>From a brief reading, comitup is for machines that have good
working wifi interfaces but are headless (no monitor, no
keyboard) and so cannot be told which wifi network they should
connect to.

This is plausible for a Raspberry Pi or similar tiny portable
computer, or an embedded device, but unlikely to be the case for
a laptop or desktop user.

> Additionally, that creating a hotspot part of its description,
> maybe... any useful tips about security related to that would be
> helpful, too, now that this is out here where new Users turn for
> information....

The usual tool for this is hostapd. By default, you have no
security, so unless that's your intent, you will also need to
learn about the various kinds of encryption options and set one
up.

-dsr-