Re: uefi boot install and disk partitions

Le 04/01/2020 à 20:47, Sven Joachim a écrit :
On 2020-01-04 13:38 +0100, Pascal Hambourg wrote:

Some new boot specification mounts the EFI partition on /boot

Citation needed, which specification is that?

Freedesktop/systemd's Boot Loader Specification.
<https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/BootLoaderSpec/>
now <https://systemd.io/BOOT_LOADER_SPECIFICATION/>

Also mentionned in the Discoverable Partitions Specification.
<https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/DiscoverablePartitionsSpec/>
<https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-gpt-auto-generator.html>

but Debian does not follow it (yet) and still
mounts the EFI partition on /boot/efi.

There are good reasons for not mounting the EFI system partition on
/boot, the most important one is that FAT filesystems do not support
files with multiple hard links,

You mean that FAT filesystems do not support hard links at all. The concept of hard link requires some level of indirection between a directory entry and a file. In common Unix-like filesystems such as ext*, this is provided by inodes structures which contain the file metadata. FAT filesystems do not have such indirection and the file metadata are contained in the directory entry instead.

a feature that is crucial for dpkg.

I vaguely remember this, but not when and why dpkg needs to create additional hard links. Can you refresh my memories ?