Re: how to create debian live usb

On Saturday 04 January 2020 04:25:59 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 04, 2020 at 12:35:31AM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> > On Sat 04 Jan 2020 at 13:00:04 (+0800), kaye n wrote:
> > > First I used gparted to format the entire flash drive to fat32.
> >
> > As Charles pointed out, anything you do before the dd is a waste
> > of time because it will be overwritten.
> >
> > > Then I executed the command in terminal:
> > >
> > > sudo dd if=debian-live-10.2.0-amd64-xfce+nonfree.iso of=/dev/sdb
> > > bs=4M; sync
> >
> > That looks ok.
>
> It does. If someone else says "better use cp" -- they are equivalent.
> *BUT* first make sure your USB is not mounted. Those newfangled
> desktop environments will "helpfully" mount the file systen on your
> USB if there's one. Then it'll be a question of luck whether your
> dd or cp will work or not.
>
> So if you insert your stick and can "see" its files in your desktop
> environment... BE WARY. Unmount first. Ask here on how to do that.
>
> Cheers
> -- t

I am glad this has finally come up, because in doing u-sd's for the pi's,
its a never ending battle to keep the damned things unmounted long
enough to get the dd session started. If there was an approved way to
neuter udev, or what ever is doing it, without destroying that ability
to automount later, I am all ears.  We need to be able to turn that on
and off without permanently disabling it because it can be handier than
that famous button on the outhouse door. A disable with a timeout would
be ok, or an on-off switch would be even better. Or a device specific
disable until ejected and re-inserted would be ideal.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis