how to create debian live usb

Hello Friends,

I don't know if my flash drives are corrupted or not, but I haven't been successful creating live USB using the following commands:

cp <file> <device>

dd if=<file> of=<device> bs=4M; sync

Then I tried copying via a file manager, that is, right-click the iso -> copy -> paste into the flash drive, then flag the flash drive with 'boot' using gparted.

Failed as well.  The flash drive contains the iso file along with many other files that seem to be corrupted - no file name, just weird icons.

Are my flash drives corrupted?  Should I try the following commands?

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx
sudo mkfs.msdos -f 32 /dev/sdxx

And if that is done, do I again try:
dd if=<file> of=<device> bs=4M; sync