Re: Where is the problem: Tape Drive? Cartridge(s)? Cable? SAS Controller?

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 16:15:07 -0500
Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> > For more long range, I'll second Gene Heskett's recommendation for
> > external USB drives. You can use amanda or any number of other
> > tools. I use several.
>
> No external usb drives allowed, I've found them to be many times less
> dependable than pure sata plugged into the mobo. I've bought several
> in the last 3 years or so, since they've become common, and none of
> the usb stuff has survived past 4 to 6 months. Waste of money
> regardless of the name brand on the box.

My apologies for misrepresenting your setup, Gene.

Odd. I have had excellent results with external USB drives. I use them
as off-site backups, so I take one with me (carry-on, not
rent-a-gorilla) when I travel. I retire them because they run out of
room, not because they die.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com