Re: Where is the problem: Tape Drive? Cartridge(s)? Cable? SAS Controller?

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 10:51:45 -0600
Jack G F Hill <linux@nanniandjack.com> wrote:

> All this leads to the hardware question, "What is failing": Tape
> Drive? Cartridge(s)? Cable? SAS Controller?

The first thing I would do is take the thing apart, pull the
connectors, clean them, and re-seat them. Then I would look for
socketed hardware (ICs, pull up resistor packs, etc.) and gently pull
and reseat those.

For more long range, I'll second Gene Heskett's recommendation for
external USB drives. You can use amanda or any number of other tools. I
use several.

For some more thoughts,
https://charlescurley.com/blog/posts/2019/Nov/02/backups-on-linux/

--