Re: Where is the problem: Tape Drive? Cartridge(s)? Cable? SAS Controller?

On Thursday 02 January 2020 15:32:39 Charles Curley wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 10:51:45 -0600
>
> Jack G F Hill <linux@nanniandjack.com> wrote:
> > All this leads to the hardware question, "What is failing": Tape
> > Drive? Cartridge(s)? Cable? SAS Controller?
>
> The first thing I would do is take the thing apart, pull the
> connectors, clean them, and re-seat them. Then I would look for
> socketed hardware (ICs, pull up resistor packs, etc.) and gently pull
> and reseat those.
>
> For more long range, I'll second Gene Heskett's recommendation for
> external USB drives. You can use amanda or any number of other tools.
> I use several.

No external usb drives allowed, I've found them to be many times less
dependable than pure sata plugged into the mobo. I've bought several in
the last 3 years or so, since they've become common, and none of the usb
stuff has survived past 4 to 6 months. Waste of money regardless of the
name brand on the box.

> For some more thoughts,
> https://charlescurley.com/blog/posts/2019/Nov/02/backups-on-linux/

Cheers, Gene Heskett