Re: usr-merge, was Re: Back to systemd [was: Re: New list for Raspbian? (was: Re: systemdq)]

On Wed 01 Jan 2020 at 11:04:32 (+0200), Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Ma, 31 dec 19, 16:56:31, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Sure. it is just a bit tedious to first install Stretch to upgrade to a
> > > non-usr-merged Buster.
> >
> > This wasn't meant as a recommendation :-)
> >
> > Whoever cares about this will hopefully know easier ways to achieve that.
> >
> > Rather for those who now look at their setup and wonder...
>
> debootstrap --no-merged-usr is one option I know of.

I assume once again that this wasn't meant as a recommendation.

But this does follow the (snipped) comment 'the "/usr Merge" that
might hit a fan someday'. For those *not* preparing packages for
Debian and/or other distributions, can anyone express a downside
to usr-merge, ie for typical "user/consumers".

I've read the references posted here, as well as
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/03/msg00001.html
and the discussions and ballot that led up to it
and I haven't seen any indication of […] that hasn't hit the fan
already.

I'm not trying to discuss the implementation of the change, nor
the bumps in the road for developing installable packages on varied
targets, but just the cons (I can see pros) for the end user.

Cheers,
David.