Re: Giveaway-Laptop: sending system mails

Happy new year! Markus^^^

Markus Grunwald <markus@the-grue.de> writes:

> Dear List Participants,
>
> An elder friend of mine uses his 10 year old Sony Vayo with Windows 7
> mainly for browsing the net, homebanking, E-Mails. Due to several
> reasons, I want to give him a Laptop with Debian Linux that I will support.
>
> Several things should work to keep my active involvement low. One of the
> basics is: I want to get mails whenever "something" happens. I think
> that msmtp is the right tool for me, but correct me if I'm wrong, please.
>
> But, there is a problem: I have to put the plain mail password in
> /etc/msmtprc, because the normal user won't be there to unlock a gpg
> file or give msmtp the password in any other way. That means, I want
> /etc/msmtprc to be only readable by root (440). But then, users other
> than root (nobody maybe?) won't be able to send mails...
>
> I wonder if that could be solved in a better way? I don't want to miss
> anything from unattended-upgrades or logcheck or apt-listchanges...
>
> I would love to get your thoughts on that.

Already Reco gave you good points. Plus you are guru for E-mail
things. For a while, i did check your mail headers. Really you are
professional. You can do it. Don't give up please.

There are three tools -- msmtp, ssmtp, nullmailer. Persionally i use
nullmailer for now on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Sincerely,

--
^고맙습니다 _地平天成_ 감사합니다_^))//