Re: usr-merge, was Re: Back to systemd [was: Re: New list for Raspbian? (was: Re: systemdq)]

David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> But this does follow the (snipped) comment 'the "/usr Merge" that
> might hit a fan someday'. For those *not* preparing packages for
> Debian and/or other distributions, can anyone express a downside
> to usr-merge, ie for typical "user/consumers".

For me the biggest downside was that "dpkg -S", "dlocate" and "apt-file
search" and the web-equivalent stopped working reliably, because the
final path in the filesystem is no longer the same as it is in the
package.

It also broke some internal CI/CD where the wrong paths were used when
the CD chroot was built with usr-merge active but the deployment target
was not usr-merged. The same has happened for the Debian buildds.

And it also broke some 3rd party vendor packages which had the same
directory in /lib and /usr/lib, but with different contents.

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.