Re: Difference between ipp, ipps, http, https CUPS protocols?

On Fri 15 Nov 2019 at 12:44:16 -0000, Dan Purgert wrote:

> mick crane wrote:

> >> Who said that LPR/LPD gave people "something" that IPP doesn't?

My musing could be seen as a question exploring whether the LPD
protocol has any advantages over the IPP protocol.

> > I'm not really sure about what happens.
> > Is it that a CUPS server translates what it receives from client to
> > sequence of instructions printer understands ?
> > Certain on client
> >
> > " mytext | lpr "
> >
> > worked, which could be handy.
>
> Yeah, CUPS does provide hooks for some commands (similarly to how say
> postfix or exim provide 'sendmail(tm)').
>
> This entire discourse between Brian and myself started with a question
> to the effect of "what will 'we' (presumably 'Dan' and 'Brian') do

The "we" was intended to encompass all users of the Debian printing
system.

> if/when CUPS removes PPD support for our old printers?" ( MID
> <z1KEa-1MF-5@gated-at.bofh.it> ).  I responded with a crack about LPRng
> being the "solution" to continue supporting the old stuff (and, in the
> case of 'new stuff' that still supports the old LPR/LPD protocols; why
> bother mucking around with changes I don't "need" to make).

There is no "if" about? When? After CUPS 2.3. A couple of years?

--
Brian.