Re: Difference between ipp, ipps, http, https CUPS protocols?

On Thu 14 Nov 2019 at 11:12:38 -0000, Dan Purgert wrote:

> Brian wrote:
> > I wonder how many modern printers support the lpd protocol?
>
> How do we define "modern"?  Just looked at a few Brother MFPs, and they
> still support it (although I don't know how old the actual models are).

Modern? I'd say something sold in the past 5/10 years that supports
AirPrint.

> Sorting by "newest" on their (laser / color led) models listing results
> in the "HL-L3270CDW" being listed as "newest" -- digging around, it
> seems that it's a 2018 model.  Still has LPR/LPD listed under the
> "Protocols" sections (both IPv4 and v6, actually).
>
> I would expect that pretty much everything of theirs (well, at least in
> terms of "business lineup") would then still support it. Their site
> seems a bit broken right now (or perhaps it's on my end), so I can't get
> at the 'home' stuff to check.

One would think that a business machine supporting the LPD protocol
would cost a vendor pennies. After all, the vendor doesn't have to
do much when they already have the code to put in their firmware.

What is more interesting is why a user thinks that the LPD protocol
gives them something that IPP doesn't.

--
Brian.