Re: Semi-OT: IPP doesn't auto-configure CUPS?

On 2019-11-11, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

>> Internet Printing Protocol (http)
>>
>> Internet Printing Protocol (https)
>>
>> Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
>>
>> Internet Printing Protocol (ipps)
>>
>> even though "ls -l /usr/lib/cups/backend" all show them to all be or
>> symlink to the same file. So I'm left with my original question from
>> my earlier-today post/question: What's the difference between these
>> four protocols, and why would I select one over the others?
>>
> excellent questions. But I be far more interested is setting a printer as
> shared, and actually being able share it.  When configured as shared,
> when the page clears back to the printer, its marked not shared and is
> refusing to allow other computers on my local net to use it.

AFAIK, there's only one protocol in the list above (IPP). http(s) is a
transport binding. ipps is a "URI scheme, which is used to designate the
access to the network location of a secure IPP print service or a
network resource managed by such a service."

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7472

 cupsctl --share-printers
(same subnet)

 lpadmin -p <name of shared printer> -o printer-is-shared=true

https://www.cups.org/doc/sharing.html

I didn't do it that way that, though. I turned on sharing via the web
interface and without further ado the printer shared itself on the LAN.
Can't imagine what your difficulty might be (unless your not in
administrative mode or something).

--
“The cradle rocks above an abyss, and common sense tells us that our existence
is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness.”