Re: Semi-OT: IPP doesn't auto-configure CUPS?

On Monday 11 November 2019 15:17:26 Kent West wrote:

> On 11/11/19 2:02 PM, Kent West wrote:
> > What I mean more specifically is, when I go into the CUPS web
> > interface to set up a new printer, and go through the Add Printer
> > stuff, and select "Other Network Printers" / "Internet Printing
> > Protocol (ipps)" (because the printer is on a different
> > subnet/virtual LAN and therefore doesn't get autodetected via
> > Bonjour/mDNS/DNS-SD), and then on the next screen enter the IP
> > address of the printer, I would have expected the IPP protocol to
> > then handle the rest of the printer setup, but instead I'm still
> > asked for the printer name and printer model (although I just now
> > noticed that what is currently selected (I'm not sure it was when I
> > started this email) is "{current_make_and_model} - IPP Everywhere" -
> > perhaps this option is doing what I was expecting?).
> >
> > (If I select that IPP Everywhere option, the next screen errors out
> > saying "Unable to open PPD file: Missing asterisk in column 1", so I
> > suspect that option is not doing what I was expecting.)
>
> Then again, maybe it does. After that failure, I went back into
> printer management and found that a printer had been created, that
> appeared broken. So I deleted it, and just to be thorough, I repeated
> the process above, again (only this time choosing "Internet Printing
> Protocol (http)". This time I did not get the error reported above,
> and the printer list now shows what looks to be a properly-installed
> printer, with an auto-populated model number (so apparently two-way
> IPP communication is working).
>
> I did a test print which was successful.
>
> So then I deleted that printer, and again added the printer, this time
> going back to using "Internet Printer Protocol (ipps)", and again I
> got the failure error message. Apparently there IS a difference
> between these four protocols:
>
> Internet Printing Protocol (http)
>
> Internet Printing Protocol (https)
>
> Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
>
> Internet Printing Protocol (ipps)
>
> even though "ls -l /usr/lib/cups/backend" all show them to all be or
> symlink to the same file. So I'm left with my original question from
> my earlier-today post/question: What's the difference between these
> four protocols, and why would I select one over the others?

excellent questions. But I be far more interested is setting a printer as
shared, and actually being able share it.  When configured as shared,
when the page clears back to the printer, its marked not shared and is
refusing to allow other computers on my local net to use it.

Thanks for any help that fixes this.

> Thanks!

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)