Re: Semi-OT: IPP doesn't auto-configure CUPS?

On 11/11/19 2:02 PM, Kent West wrote:
What I mean more specifically is, when I go into the CUPS web interface to set up a new printer, and go through the Add Printer stuff, and select "Other Network Printers" / "Internet Printing Protocol (ipps)" (because the printer is on a different subnet/virtual LAN and therefore doesn't get autodetected via Bonjour/mDNS/DNS-SD), and then on the next screen enter the IP address of the printer, I would have expected the IPP protocol to then handle the rest of the printer setup, but instead I'm still asked for the printer name and printer model (although I just now noticed that what is currently selected (I'm not sure it was when I started this email) is "{current_make_and_model} - IPP Everywhere" - perhaps this option is doing what I was expecting?).

(If I select that IPP Everywhere option, the next screen errors out saying "Unable to open PPD file: Missing asterisk in column 1", so I suspect that option is not doing what I was expecting.)

Then again, maybe it does. After that failure, I went back into printer management and found that a printer had been created, that appeared broken. So I deleted it, and just to be thorough, I repeated the process above, again (only this time choosing "Internet Printing Protocol (http)". This time I did not get the error reported above, and the printer list now shows what looks to be a properly-installed printer, with an auto-populated model number (so apparently two-way IPP communication is working).

I did a test print which was successful.

So then I deleted that printer, and again added the printer, this time going back to using "Internet Printer Protocol (ipps)", and again I got the failure error message. Apparently there IS a difference between these four protocols:

Internet Printing Protocol (http)

Internet Printing Protocol (https)

Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)

Internet Printing Protocol (ipps)

even though "ls -l /usr/lib/cups/backend" all show them to all be or symlink to the same file. So I'm left with my original question from my earlier-today post/question: What's the difference between these four protocols, and why would I select one over the others?

Thanks!

--

Kent