Re: intel video

D. R. Evans composed on 2019-11-11 17:55 (UTC-0700):

>> Felix Miata wrote:

>>> At the grub menu use the E key to edit the linux line to include

>>> 	video=1920x1080

> Bingo! (Actually 1920x1200).

In your OP you wrote 1920x1280, so I had to guess what you meant.

> So I've added that to /etc/default/grub, and run update-grub, and now it looks
> fine once I log in.

> (For some reason, the actual login screen is still low-res; it looks ugly, but
> I can live with that unless someone wants to offer a suggestion to fix it.)

What you've done is a good workaround, but not a genuine fix, or determinative why
the problem presented.

Compare the output from xrandr on the problem system to xrandr from your two
others that use that display. I expect you'll find quite a difference.

There are some quirks I'm unfamiliar with in Skylake systems. Your log shows

(EE) modeset(G0): glamor initialization failed
(EE) Failed to open authorization file "/var/run/sd..": No such file or directory

Those are bad. I don't know why there should be both modeset(G0) and modeset(0) in
the same log when only one display is in use. IME, there should only be the latter
then only one GPU exists and only one output is in use.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/