intel video

I just installed buster on a new machine (well, new to me; I think that the
mobo is two or three years old).

The GUI splash screen comes up with very large icons (i.e., it's low res), and
once I am logged in, the (KDE) function to control the size of display
provides nothing higher than 1600x1200. My other two (non-Intel) buster
systems on the same monitor happily generate a high-res login screen and
operate at 1920x1280 once I'm logged in (possibly that's the resolution of the
login screen as well; I don't know how to determine the log-in resolution).

It's an Intel chipset. The installation procedure installed
xserver-xorg-video-intel, which suggests removing that package if one's system
is newer than 2007, and letting the X server handle everything. So I removed
that package and rebooted, but nothing obvious changed: still a low-res login
screen and a logged-in display limited to 1600x1200.

The chip is an E3-1245, which is supposed to be able to operate at 4096x2304
resolution.

Any suggestions as to what I might need to do to improve at least the
logged-in resolution?

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans