pkg-config does not see a package that i installed via apt-get (libmypaint)

I installed the package libmypaint1.3.0 on my debian 10 system.

I can tell it is installed because when i run the command
sudo apt-get install libmypaint-1.3.0
the system responds with "libmypaint-1.3-0 is already the newest version".

It also says "libmypaint-1.3-0 set to manually installed", which i do not know how to interpret.

Nevertheless, if i run the command
pkg-config --exists --print-errors "libmypaint >= 1.3.0"
i get the message "No package 'libmypaint' found" (and exit status 1).

I would like to fix this, but i don't want to do a frankendebian on my system, especially so soon after i set it up about 10 days ago . . .

Oh -- and as to why i want pkg-config to see the package, that's because i'm trying to build some software that's checking dependencies using pkg-config, and the check seems pretty reasonable to me . . .

TIA for any info or advice.

dan