Re: what is the proper way to recover grub in an EFI environment ?

at bottom :-

On 06/11/2019, shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com> wrote:
> at bottom :-

<snipped>

> I didn't get far but did get the following when using ls in grub rescue -
>
> grub rescue > ls
>
> (hd0) (hd0, msdos1) (hd1) (hd1,gpt7) (hd1,gpt6), (hd1,gpt5), (hd1,gpt4),
> (hd1,gpt3), (hd1,gpt2), (hd1,gpt1)
>
> I am unsure of the way forward.
>
> I did see this as well -
>
> https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/repair-linux-boot-with-grub-rescue/
>
> Please let me know what would be the best way forward.

Btw I tried https://askubuntu.com/a/845092/394603

but if I tried to list any partition I got the following -

for e.g.

grub rescue > ls (hd0,msdos1)
Filesystem is unknown

I got this for all partitions, so looking to know what to do next. I
was expecting one of them to say something like -

grub rescue>ls (hd0,msdos2)
(hd0,msdos2): Filesystem is ext2        # this is what we want

NONE of the partitions said anything like the statement above, all
gave Filesystem is unknown :(

although filesystem is ex4 when I installed it.

The supergrub version I used is -

super_grub2_disk_x86_64_efi_2.04s1

It is a bit complicated by the fact that I am/was using debian testing.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल

E493 D466 6D67 59F5 1FD0 930F 870E 9A5B 5869 609C