Re: what is the proper way to recover grub in an EFI environment ?

Reply in-line :-

On 02/11/2019, Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:
> Le 02/11/2019 à 13:30, shirish शिरीष a écrit :
>>
>> /boot/efi/ is empty
>
> As expected. /boot/efi is just a mount point for the EFI partition.
> Check /EFI/debian in the EFI partition (FAT).

It took me sometime but ultimately was able to hit the following -

https://superuser.com/questions/965751/how-to-access-efi-partition-on-windows-10

and did the following -

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> mountvol P: /s

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> cd P:/
PS P:\> ls

    Directory: P:\

Mode                LastWriteTime         Length Name
----                -------------         ------ ----
d-----       10-03-2018     11:44                EFI

PS P:\EFI> dir

    Directory: P:\EFI

Mode                LastWriteTime         Length Name
----                -------------         ------ ----
d-----       15-02-2018     19:21                Microsoft
d-----       15-02-2018     19:26                Boot
d-----       25-06-2019     07:08                debian

As can be seen it can be in EFI partition but not within Boot, dunno
if that is normal or not.

within the debian directory it shows -

PS P:\EFI\debian> dir

    Directory: P:\EFI\debian

-a----       07-09-2019     15:57        1631600 grubx64.efi
-a----       07-09-2019     15:57            121 grub.cfg
-a----       07-09-2019     15:57        1322936 shimx64.efi
-a----       07-09-2019     15:57        1261192 mmx64.efi
-a----       07-09-2019     15:57        1206824 fbx64.efi
-a----       07-09-2019     15:57            108 BOOTX64.CSV

> How did you change Debian boot mode to EFI ?

I don't think I did that, although am not sure. Is there a way to see
if that has been done or not ?

What I remember doing is being asked to try to change the BIOS from
legacy mode to a UEFI and see if the grub menu appeared. I tried and
did that and it worked for quite sometime.

> Can you see a "debian" entry in the UEFI boot menu or boot order ?

Sadly no, in the UEFI boot menu or boot order I just have the MS boot
manager and one without. It would take a reboot but if needed can
write down the exact thing but it definitely doesn't mention anything
remote to debian.

If I use the other option I just get a blinking horizontal bar/cursor
where I can't do nothing.

> Can you boot in EFI mode with a live system or Debian installer ?

Haven't tried that as of yet :(

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल

E493 D466 6D67 59F5 1FD0 930F 870E 9A5B 5869 609C