Re: can not update/upgrade Debian 10 when using apt-cacher-ng

On 11/5/2019 4:49 PM, David Wright wrote:
> On Tue 05 Nov 2019 at 06:59:55 (+0100), john doe wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Phew :-)

>>> Not clear why, but... let's assume that.

>>> I have used that in the past, but I do prefer the cache specification
>>> in apt config these days.
>>>
>>> What happens when you point your browser at your cache instance?
>>>
>>> What do the cache log files say? (Find them typically in
>>> /var/log/apt-cacher-ng/apt-cacher.err and ...log).
>>>

>> I have filed a bugreport regarding this (1).
>>
>> In a nutshell, the secdeb remap rule is missing the "directory spec".
>> Adding the directory spec ('/debian-security') wright before the first
>> semicolon (';') fixes the issue, so the secdeb line should look like:
>>
>> Remap-secdeb: security.debian.org /debian-security ; security.debian.org
>> deb.debian.org/debian-security
>>
>> Thanks to anyone who has chimed in.
>>

>> 1)  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=944114.
>
> This stuff goes a bit over my head, but I wondered whether it would
> explain something. When I converted¹ this laptop from stretch to
> buster, I copied its entire stretch/apt-cacher-ng cache of .deb files
> into the _import directory of the new buster/apt-cacher-ng and ran
> the import process from its maintenance webpage.
>
> All the packages destined for the debrep side of the cache were
> imported into their appropriate places in the directory tree, but
> nothing made it into the secdeb side. Those packages were left, and
> remain, in the _import directory. I assume now that apt-cacher-ng
> could not find out the structure of the directory tree in which to
> place them.
>
> Could that problem arise out of your bug?

I would imagine so, if no 'directory spec' is included in the remap rule
(secdeb line in this case) '/var/cache/apt-cacher-ng/secdeb'  will never
be created.

You can verify this, using the CLI as root, as follow:

For testing purposes, on the same host on which apt-cacher-ng is
installed try the following:

Put only those two lines in '/etc/apt/sources.list':
deb http://localhost:3142/debian-security buster/updates main
deb-src http://localhost:3142/debian-security buster/updates main

now try:

$ apt-get update

If you get the DNS error mentioned in the bugreport you need to modify
the 'secdeb' line in '/etc/apt-cacher-ng/acng.conf' to make it look like
the one I have provided or the one I use:

Remap-secdeb: security.debian.org deb.debian.org/debian-security ;
security.debian.org deb.debian.org/debian-security

I don't use the GUI, so can't help you on that front! :)

HTH.

--
John Doe