Re: can not update/upgrade Debian 10 when using apt-cacher-ng

On Tue 05 Nov 2019 at 06:59:55 (+0100), john doe wrote:
> On 10/29/2019 4:10 PM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> >> Yes, the hostname is not the one I use.
> >
> > Phew :-)
> >
> >> For now, method 2 is used when '/etc/apt/sources.list' is created by the
> >> Debian installer, so method 1 is not an option.
> >
> > Not clear why, but... let's assume that.
> >
> >> Everything else is working but not downloading the upgrade through
> >> apg-cacher-ng.
> >>
> >> Is anyone using a proxy to download the upgrade(s) and what format is to
> >> be used in '/etc/apt/sources.list'?
> >
> > I have used that in the past, but I do prefer the cache specification
> > in apt config these days.
> >
> > What happens when you point your browser at your cache instance?
> >
> > What do the cache log files say? (Find them typically in
> > /var/log/apt-cacher-ng/apt-cacher.err and ...log).
> >

> I have filed a bugreport regarding this (1).
>
> In a nutshell, the secdeb remap rule is missing the "directory spec".
> Adding the directory spec ('/debian-security') wright before the first
> semicolon (';') fixes the issue, so the secdeb line should look like:
>
> Remap-secdeb: security.debian.org /debian-security ; security.debian.org
> deb.debian.org/debian-security
>
> Thanks to anyone who has chimed in.
>

> 1)  https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=944114.

This stuff goes a bit over my head, but I wondered whether it would
explain something. When I converted¹ this laptop from stretch to
buster, I copied its entire stretch/apt-cacher-ng cache of .deb files
into the _import directory of the new buster/apt-cacher-ng and ran
the import process from its maintenance webpage.

All the packages destined for the debrep side of the cache were
imported into their appropriate places in the directory tree, but
nothing made it into the secdeb side. Those packages were left, and
remain, in the _import directory. I assume now that apt-cacher-ng
could not find out the structure of the directory tree in which to
place them.

Could that problem arise out of your bug?

(The secdeb tree is now being populated normally as a result of the
usual buster security updates.)

¹ buster is a new installation; the stretch system remains behind
  on a twin partition; /home is a shared partition. The stretch
  cache was well populated with buster packages as all the other
  five PCs here had switched to buster already, all via this cache.

Cheers,
David.