Re: Backup Times on a Linux desktop

Konstantin Nebel wrote:

>> Anyway from my experience borg is the best and I can recommend it wormly.
>
> I appreciate you answering in the fullest how you do backups and I used
> borg in the past which I can recommend as well. But I really want to focus
> on how to trigger the backup in an automated way and not in which tool is
> recommended to use.

I think it is not only me that misunderstood the point of the question.

>> My use case is quite opposite. I shut down the backup server as I do only
>> weekly and monthly backups.
>
> I assume u trigger them manually then? I would like to do them
> automatically and hopefully forget about them that they exist and do the
> occasional check if they work or not :)

Yes, on my list is still to find a way to trigger one single backup in a
time window when the backup server is available. I want to also explore the
snapshot function of LVM. This is my use case.

In any case a backup is time consuming process and what many suggest is to
sync the content you are interested in permanently to a local machine and
then do your regular backup from there.

This would mean you use something like inotify and sync the files to the PI4
and have a cronjob that does the backup at some point of time from the
local directory. To me it looks very clean and simple.
https://linuxhint.com/inotofy-rsync-bash-live-backups/

there are couple of other articles

regards