Re: Backup Times on a Linux desktop

On Saturday 02 November 2019 16:30:32 Konstantin Nebel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Anyway from my experience borg is the best and I can recommend it
> > wormly.
>
> I appreciate you answering in the fullest how you do backups and I
> used borg in the past which I can recommend as well. But I really want
> to focus on how to trigger the backup in an automated way and not in
> which tool is recommended to use.
>
> > My use case is quite opposite. I shut down the backup server as I do
> > only weekly and monthly backups.
>
> I assume u trigger them manually then? I would like to do them
> automatically and hopefully forget about them that they exist and do
> the occasional check if they work or not :)

I use GenesAmandaHelper, a wrapper around amanda that I wrote 15+ years
ago and which takes care of the housekeeping better than amanda, all
fired off to do my 5 machines at about 2am every morning.  Its reduced
me to a lazy bum since all I have to do is read the emails it sends me.

Everything else is automatic.  Computers should work for you, not make
more work for you.

> --
> Cheers
> Konstantin