Re: Dependencies et al (was: Default Debian install harassed me)

On Mon, Oct 07, 2019 at 02:45:29PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 07, 2019 at 09:17:21PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 07, 2019 at 01:54:17PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> > > I don't agree that responding to a troll will lead to a beneficial outcome.
> >
> > You're entitled to your option, of course.
>
> For context, the most recent message from that account started out with:

And, for the context, I was referring to the child of the original
e-mail, which stated:

This is harassment because you force me to use either
Xarchiver or Ark, you don't give me the choice to use none.
All normal package managers would just remove everything
that depends on Xarchiver, not force me to install alternative.

Whenever it's a harassment it's for an appropriate Debian Team to
decide, of course.

> I think most people would agree that's a troll account which isn't
> going to lead to any meaningful engagement.

Totally agreed. Yet even such e-mail can give a start to a meaningful
and civilized discussion, as we're currently seeing in other part of
this thread.

> It's probably reasonable to assume that any issues raised by the troll
> account were selected to cause conflict, not to request assistance for
> a real problem in need of a solution.

Hardly. OP needed to get it out their system, and choose an
inappropriate way of doing so. Ban them, and be done with it.

> > User tries to uninstall a program, for instance - "xarchiver"
>
> Why? What is the use-case for a naive user to remove that,

I've asked to leave "gnome" metapackage as it is, as you may recall.
It's perfect as it is. GNOME is the default Debian DE, installing
something else takes skill and determination. In the process of gaining
these user tends to lose that naivity (sp?).

Reco