Re: Default Debian install harassed me

On 2019-10-06 at 17:00, goleo . wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 10:49 PM Steve McIntyre <93sam@debian.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Oct 06, 2019 at 09:50:54PM +0300, goleo . wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> After installing Debian 10 on my laptop (I choose desktop LXQT) I
>>> noticed that Xarchiver is preinstalled and it was inconvenient to
>>> me in the past, so I opened Synaptic to remove it. But when I
>>> click on "xarchiver" and choose "Mark for Removal" or "Mark for
>>> Complete Removal" it says it'll install Ark, KDE 5 Frameworks and
>>> GNUSTEP.
>>>
>>> Here is the video proof:
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1IoGQP1omE
>>
>> I don't see any harassment here. Can you explain what you think
>> might be, please?
>
> This is harassment because you force me to use either Xarchiver or
> Ark, you don't give me the choice to use none.

Of course you have that choice. You just have to remove the metapackage
which automatically pulls in everything the LXQT packagers thought
should be part of a standard LXQT install, and install whichever
depended-on packages you want by hand.

Did you even look at the lxqt package to see what it involves?

> All normal package managers would just remove everything that depends
> on Xarchiver, not force me to install alternative.

The lxqt metapackage does depend on xarchiver. The lxqt-core,
lxqt-admin, lxqt-about, lxqt-powermanagement, lxqt-sudo, et cetera,
packages - which, unlike lxqt, actually contain files - don't.

If you want the convenience of getting all of lxqt through a single
package, then you have to accept getting everything the maintainers
thought that should pull in. If you don't want all of that "everything",
then you can still get just pieces of it; you just don't get to have
that convenience.

> You are a bunch of hypocrites and assholes, you are not fighting for
> freedom, you just provide separate contrib and non-free repositories
> just to make up illusion of fighting fighting for freedom.
>
> If you really fought for freedom, I would have a freedom to just
> remove what I don't like (Xarchiver) and everything that depends on
> it (as long as it's not an optional dependency).

You're quick to jump to conclusions and fly into a rage, aren't you?

(Not to mention: every form of harassment I've ever run across involves
being repeatedly contacted by someone else against your wishes. Whatever
negative term you may want to choose for the type of poor dependency
selection you thought was present in this case, "harassment" certainly
shouldn't be it.)

--
   The Wanderer