Re: Document removal of ecryptfs-utils from Buster

On Sunday 30 June 2019 12:17:48 Sven Hartge wrote:

> Andrea Borgia <andrea@borgia.bo.it> wrote:
> > Il 30/06/19 11:52, Curt ha scritto:
> >> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=928956
> >>
> >>   Due to #765854 ecryptfs-utils has been removed from Buster.
> >>   The kernel module (ecryptfs.ko) is still built but depending on
> >> the upgrade path users will be unable to mount their encrypted home
> >> directories (pam module, ecryptfs-mount-private missing). So they
> >> should probably be strongly advised to not upgrade.
> >
> > Should I count myself lucky that I have two systems running
> > "testing" with also "stable" sources? Perhaps it's time to mark the
> > package as "hold" :)
> >
> > I'd be interested to know if there is an alternative: not so much
> > for my desktop but my laptop really needs it. Thanks for the heads
> > up, though.
>
> You could compile ecryptfs-utils on Buster manually to get the
> dependencies right.
>
> Or keep stretch in sources.list but this will not work forever, as
> soon as Stretch gets archived it will break.
>
> Other than that: Reinstalling the system with full disk encryption or
> just copying the files from the ecryptfs and then removing it are the
> only real other options.
>
> But I foresee a big lashback once people not noticing this upgrade to
> Buster to then just discover that their system is completely broken.
>
> Grüße,
> Sven.

At this point, I'd call it a buster delaying bug.  That last is going to
cost too many that can't ignore it and don't have unencrypted backups.
Thats going to be a lot of very bad PR.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis