Re: Intended question - was {Re: Forgot name of Debian "configuration" {wrong word?} file}

On Sun 16 Jun 2019 at 22:50:28 (-0400), Felix Miata wrote:
> Richard Owlett composed on 2019-06-16 14:17 (UTC-0500):
> > David Wright wrote:
>
> >> or, even easier,
>
> >>    Use a LABEL to indicate the swap partition in all your own
> ...> I can't parse that.
>
> I recommend learning to use LABELs on all your filesystems. They are massively
> easier for humans to work with than UUIDs. You get to assign them in accordance
> with how your brain functions, e.g.:

That's right.

[…]

> In case you're wondering about the above naming logic, m12 is simply the last
> three characters of the disk's serial number, something to reduce possibility
> of label duplication when swapping disks around, or cloning.

I write permanent 4-letter names on my disks with a marker
pen. Computers too. The partitions are just 2-digit suffixes.
Names makes it easier to remember that PC wasp contains
disks faye and chad, for example.

> Labeling makes output lines in blkid longer, but that enables making parsing much
> easier for most human brains. Labels can be especially helpful with multiboot in
> constructing custom boot stanzas much shorter and more easily parsable compared
> to those generated by grub-mkconfig, e.g.:
>
> menuentry "Debian 10 Buster" {
> 	search --no-floppy --set=root --hint-baremetal=ahci0,gpt8 --label m12p08deb10
> 	linux	/vmlinuz root=LABEL=m12p08deb10 noresume
> 	initrd	/initrd.img
> }

Thanks for the example. It's long been a disappointment that
there's no   GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_LABEL=true   parameter in
/etc/default/grub. For years I've post-processed grub.cfg
with a shell script to replace the UUIDs with LABELs by
using data from /run/udev/data/b* (and making a few other
tweaks). But I can see I ought to be doing more pruning.

Cheers,
David.